1. I decided to rename this category. All too often, my little mish mashes weren’t happening on Monday mornings. So now it’s just the Mish Mash and I can do it whenever I damn well please, thank you very much.
2. So what did Santa bring you? He was very good to me this year. I got a new netbook computer, which will be great to take along when Im traveling, and will keep me from always being glued to my desktop. I got a cool new watch–an automatic “skeleton” watch that shows off its inner workings. And I got pampered. The week of Christmas I had a massage, a manicure, and a pedicure. And I will sleep like a baby in 2010 with my new ridiculously expensive (but purchased on sale) pillow, new pajamas, and a new blanket that is the softest thing I’ve ever felt in my life. I also got the second season of Dexter on DVD. For those of you who don’t watch the show—you MUST. Trust me on this. Start at the beginning and watch…I have stayed up til dawn many a night because I can’t stop watching once I start.
3. So the Honda dealership called me today with the news that my engine is shot. Luckily, this is still covered by the extended powertrain warranty. (Otherwise I’d be selling a kidney on eBay to pay the almost $7,000 it will cost to repair my car.) While I’m glad that my cost is limited to a rental car (why they wouldnt give me a loaner is beyond me!) and some frustration, I am beyond upset that my two year old car has suffered such a mechanical breakdown. It has always been pampered and maintained above and beyond what is recommended, and Hondas are supposed to go FOREVER. I am seriously considering trading it as soon as I get it back next week.
4. One of my brothers got the Wii game “Just Dance” for Christmas. Basically, a silhouette busts a move to dance hits from the 50s to today, and you must replicate the on screen moves. This made for a Christmas morning full of belly laughs. None of us are known for our dance moves…though I have some vague recollection of some attempted break dancing going on in our kitchen at one of my dad’s birthday parties one year…but it was quite a surprise that Dad got the best score of the morning with his rendition of the Mashed Potato song.
5. Did I mention there were over two feet of snow waiting on me when I got home for Christmas last week? Of course, where I live now, snow is a rarity, so to see two feet was quite a treat for me. My godson and I built a snowman and went snowtubing in it. I always loved playing in the snow when I was a kid, and take every opportunity to do so now that I’m kinda sorta grown up.
6. My crazy mama got sentimental on me Christmas night. After lunch with the family, she and I spent a few hours with one of my best friends from childhood and his family. He and I had managed to miss each other the last few times I’ve been home, so it was good to catch up a little, and mom seemed to enjoy being in the company of other ladies her age. After leaving there, we stopped by another close friend’s house (the mother of my godchildren) so mom could see the kids. For all her nuttiness, she loves kids and old people. Anyhoo…when I dropped her back off, she dug into her cedar chest and gave me a couple of outfits that had been mine as a baby, along with the music box from my nursery and the Volkswagen-shaped cookie jar I loved as a kid. (“Ever had sex in a Volkswagen?” she asked, “I have and let me tell ya, that take some flexibility.”) Upon getting home, I promptly dropped the music box, shattering the figures head into a dozen pieces. I’m just heartbroken over this. I have found someone who specializes in repairing such things, but I just know it will cost a fortune.