1. Someone should have told me what I have been missing. Honey and I both had Friday afternoon free, and as we tried to figure out how we might spend it Honey said “Let’s go get a pedicure.” Now, I’m secure enough in myself not to worry much about doing such girly things. I have been massaged, waxed, tanned, and groomed to within an inch of my life at times. But that line has always been drawn at a pedicure. What’s the point? I wondered. And now I know. My God…the little massaging chair, the little foot jacuzzi, the potions they poured on my rough and trollish feet. I would have been better off not knowing this…I’m not sure I can ever cut my own toenails again.
2. Saturday night, we had to go to a dinner party/fundraiser. It was a New Orleans-themed garden party held on one of the nicest pieces of property–one of those fine old homes on the sort of gorgeous, tree-lined street that everyone wants to live on. Their double-depth back yard was ringed in live oaks, magnolia trees the height of which I’d never seen before, and hundreds of blooming azaleas. The back of the property was anchored by an open garden house and I could just imagine it being a perfect wedding backdrop. And, oh yeah, I unwittingly ate alligator. Which was really good until I discovered what it was.
3. The weather was so nice (topping 90 this weekend!) That we spent Sunday afternoon having a picnic in Falls Park. (picture below) It’s a wonderful place that is always filled with people. Until a few years ago, a bridge went right over those falls. Millions were spent reworking the area, removing the bridge, and installing a pedestrian walk over the falls. Now the park is the centerpiece of downtown.
4. Last year it was bird flu, and now we have to worry about pig flu. Who knew pigs and birds even got the flu? And how the heck does it get transferred to a human? It’s not from eating them–I worried myself into an ulcer after having some bacon until TrailerParkBarbie assured me that my breakfast wasn’t going to kill me.(well, it might eventually, from hardening of the arteries and such, but Oscar Meyer isn’t going to give me pig flu.)Anyhoo…once again, we have part of the world running around in silly masks. Do those things work? I’m guessing no. Germs are tiny little things, and besides, those masks aren’t air-tight to your face so cooties can still get in around the edges, can’t they?
5. So the headline this morning blares that GM is axing the Pontiac brand. I’ve never quite understood why GM sells five different versions of the same car and just swaps out the grills and badges. I mean, most manufacturers build several models on the same platform, but GM doesn’t even TRY to make them any different. I mean, is there a reason you would buy a GMC Suburban over an idential looking Chevy one? Color me confused on why it took this long for them to realize the inefficiency of their system.