1. I’m a little hit-and-run this morning. My spring allergies have given way to a nasty cold…and I’m just trying to keep myself drugged up enough to get through the day before collapsing into bed, which is where I really feel like being.
2. I hinted last week that there was another crazy mama story in the making. I’m having trouble getting the details…but Mama claimed that her man “hit her” in his sleep. At my house, we call that the perils of a queen sized bed, but in her mind it’s cause to phone the police. The police arrived, and from what I can gather, Mama indicated she was leaving and asked the police to see the Bedtime Batterer off of the property. The police quickly deduced that Mama was under the influence of something (i.e. she had been double fisting from her medicine cabinet, per usual) and confiscated her car keys. If she only had those angel car mats, she might have been able to argue that God was gonna be her copilot, but police snatched the keys and said they wouldn’t release them until she could present at their office and pass a sobriety test.
3. The first stop thing on my agenda for this past weekends trip home was a concert by Matt Savage, a 17 year old autistic pianist. The kid was awesome! He not only plays, but composes his own material as well…and the whole audience was in awe. He’s well known in certain circles, having performed with Dave Brubeck, on the Letterman show, NPR, and has performed at Birdland. If you are a fan of jazz or piano, check him out!
4. But of course, the whole reason for the trip was my stepmother’s 50th birthday party. The real gift I got her was buried in a goody bag of old-lady accountrements–Geritol, Rain Bonnets, corn pads, Day-of-the-week pill dispenser, and a matchbox Buick. About 60 people turned out to celebrate, and it was a great party..one that I, unfortunately can’t say much more about because A. my memory is foggy on it, thank you vodka, and B. I DO remember being told “This better not be on your blog Monday.” Although I swear I can’t remember what, exactly, that was in reference to.
5. While we are talking about WV, did you know that Fairmont, WV is the Pepperoni Roll Capitol of the World? Well…neither did I. If you’ve ever been to WV, you may have noticed that almost every convenience store sells pre-made Pepperoni Rolls. I can’t get them where I am, but usually have one or three when I’m there…but I never knew until today that this sort of pepperoni roll is somewhat unique to the area and was actually invented in Fairmont. Now, aren’t you glad to have that piece of useless knowledge? (seriously, they are GOOOOOOOD! If you are ever in WV, get one!) And if you don’t get to WV soon, take heart–one of the biggest bakeries is about to make them available nationwide!