1. One of my favorite bloggers, Red from Dr. Pepper is Good for the Soul, has closed up shop. I suppose we all get a little burnout from time to time, but I haven’t been this sad since Maxine closed the House of Ill Repute. When Red made this announcement I commented “Well f*ck you then!” cause she is the kinda gal you can say that to and not have her collapse onto a fainting couch. Hopefully, she saw my humor. She’ll be missed.
2. It’s been a week of babies! One of my S.O.L.s (sister out-laws) had a baby girl Tuesday morning, one of my oldest friends had her second baby boy Friday morning, and my other S.O.L. had a baby boy Sunday morning. Being an uncle three times in one week is a little overwhelming.
3. “Hitler has only got one ball, Göring has two but very small, Himmler is somewhat sim’lar, But poor old Goebbels has no balls at all.” So sang one of Shirley McClain’s gentleman friends in “An Evening Star” Turns out he was right on at least one count– Hitler was a one ball wonder.
4. Some time back, I submitted The Vinyl Village for review by the unapologetic folks at “Ask and Ye Shall Receive” My head finally fell on their chopping block–much of their somewhat scathing review was expected based on what I had gleened from their reviews of other blogs–too much “filler”, too little “soul”. I see their points, but recognize that much of the review is their opinion, and if the “filler” isn’t the stuff blog dreams are made of, I hope it provides the occasional chuckle or moment of mindless escape for those who chance across it. But, the whole point of getting their opinion was to improve, so as I digest some of what they said, and reflect on what I’d like this blog to be, you may be seeing some changes around here. I also open the floor for anyone else who reads here and has some constructive criticism for me.
5. I spent Sunday afternoon at a big new car show. Nothing too exciting there, although I did fall in LOVE with a chocolate brown Porsche 911 targa. The more realistic thing that caught my eye was a new Volkswagen CC (four door coupe). But walking around, its easy to see why the Big Three are in trouble, and it has nothing to do with the economy. With a handful of exceptions, American cars just looks like cheap crap compared to their competition.