1. The TV stations must be desperate for ad dollars now that the election is over. The other morning, during ONE commercial break, I saw two ads for Gutter Guards. The main advertiser one night was a string of homemade ads for a local window company.
2. And, since American has spoken, it’s time to rip up the signs in your yard and remove the bumper stickers. Nothing says “I’m lazy” worse than wearing your pride for a candidate whose fate has already been sealed.
3. So that this morning’s little poster has a point, I offer the following:
Miss Beatrice, the church organist, was in her 80’s and had never been married. She was admired by everyone as a sweet and kind soul. One afternoon, the pastor came calling and she invited him to sit in her parlor as she prepared a pot of tea. As he sat facing her old Hammond organ, the minister noticed a cut glass bowl sitting on the organ. It was filled with water, and floating in it was, of all things, a condom!
When Miss Beatrice returned with tea and scones, they began to chat, and try as he might, the preacher couldn’t stifle his curiosity.
“Miss Beatrice,” he said, “I wonder if you would tell me about this?” He gestured to the bowl.
“Oh yes!” she replied, “Isn’t it wonderful? I was walking through the park a few months ago and found this little package on the ground. The directions said to place it on the organ, keep it wet, and it would prevent disease. Do you know I haven’t had the flu all winter?”
4. It’s Veteran’s Day this week…so if there are any veteran’s out there reading–you have my thanks for all you did, are doing, or will do.
5. I read something startling over the weekend. The company that makes Hot Wheels (Mattel) is worth more than the company that makes full-sized versions of many of the same models–General Motors. There was someone on TV this morning hawking a bailout of GM–saying that “this current economic crisis” blah blah blah. GM hasn’t been doing well in years! If the GM rental cars I’ve had are any indication, it’s because their fit, finish, and interior details are on par with Hot Wheels but nowhere near their competition. The exception being many of their SUV and trucks–let that sort of quality into your bargain cars, and you don’t need a bailout. Just my two cents.