1. As I’m sure I mentioned long ago, I’m on the Board of the Homeowner’s Association here in the Vinyl Village. Tomorrow evening we have a board meeting, and I’m hosting it. I almost always host them because I’m the only board member who doesn’t have a couple rug rats running around to spill Capri Sun and gummi bears on our papers. I’m not sure what’s on the agenda, but you can bet half of it will be dealing with people who just don’t know how to be a good neighbor, or who think the rules apply to everyone but them. Should be fun if I can get enough vodka in my system before it starts.
2. I saw something on the news about how text messaging is dangerous to your health. Apparently, the number of injuries that arise from people falling down, running into things, or stepping into traffic while they text is on the rise. I’ve never quite understood texting, even though I do it. If you have a phone in your hand, why not just call the person? Anyway, don’t text and walk.
3. My area is in a drought. There is talk about having water restrictions, which will suck because it means you can’t wash your car, water your lawn, etc. I will be a grumpy Gus if I have to drive around in a dirty car and live at a house with dead grass. Think they would let me wash my car if I promised to only take a shower once a day?
4. The little picture at the top of this morning’s Mish Mash reminds me of a funny story from a few years ago. Let me say first off, that I LOVE roller coasters, water slides, and rides of all sorts. Well I was in Myrtle Beach for the weekend, just before the Pavilion was torn down. I convinced my reluctant companion on that trip to ride the big wooden roller coaster with me:
“Now you have to throw your hands up in the air on the big dip!” I explained, “Because they have a camera at the bottom, and when we get off we can go buy the picture.” I was told there was no way any hands would be in the air, and reminded that I was damn lucky I wasn’t riding alone. So after the ride, I go to get the picture, and I look just like the little girl at the top of the page. White knuckles clutching the bar, jaw clenched in a horrified scream. Me, Mr. Big Talker, looked like I was about to crap my pants.
5. This weekend was the annual “Tax Free” weekend here in my part of the country. People go nuts for this–you are smart not to go anywhere near a mall. I don’t understand it. It basically amounts to a 6 percent sale. If stores advertised “Six Percent Off Everything!” we would all say “whoopty friggin do”.